Monday, October 22, 2012

Chocolate Praline Layer Cake




I am very behind in the blogging area of my life.....Alot has been going on and I really hope to get caught up with several posts in the next few days...

Moving right along....Saturday was my best friend's birthday. He is also the love of my life! It was Tony's 54th birthday and I made him this cake.

I stumbled onto this recipe quite a few years ago in a Pillsbury Bake-Off Cookbook that I bought. You know, you stand in line at the grocery store and you get suckered into buying something on impulse. Then, you feel obligated to try at least one recipe! Well, I think this is the only recipe I have ever made out of this cookbook, so I guess I picked the right one! Tony loves this cake and I try to make it every year for him.

I posted a picture and birthday wishes to Tony on FB and I received about 6 requests for this recipe. So, here it is. Your friends will think that you really worked hard and spent lots of time on this cake. When in reality, it is very easy and uses a Devil's Food Cake mix!

Cake
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1 Devil's Food Cake mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup oil
3 eggs

Topping
1 3/4 cups whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
Whole pecans, if desired for the top of the cake
Chocolate curls, or grated chocolate if desired

Heat oven to 350. In small heavy saucepan, combine butter, 1/4 cup whipping cream and brown sugar. Cook over low heat just until butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Pour into two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans; sprinkle evenly with chopped pecans. In large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs at low speed until moistened; beat 2 minutes at highest speed. Carefully spoon batter over pecan mixture.

Bake at 350 for 35 to 45 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pans onto waxed paper. Cool completely.

In small bowl, beat 1 3/4 cups whipping cream until soft peaks form. Blend in powdered sugar and vanilla, beat until stiff peaks form. To assemble cake, place 1 layer on serving plate, praline side up. Spread with 1/2 of whipped cream. Top with second layer, praline side up; spread top with remaining whipped cream. Garnish with whole pecans and chocolate curls or grated chocolate, if desired. Store in refrigerator.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment